I just wanted to tell you about a fantastic new scheme by BBC Cymru Wales and the Arts Council. Horizons Gorwelion aims to champion and foster talent in Wales by giving them a boost into the music industry. I was very lucky to be a part of the initial panel of music producers, promoters and experts who championed Welsh artists to be a part of the venture.
The latest development in the process is to invite any artist or band to upload their music in order to be considered by the smaller panel of BBC Radio Wales and Radio Cymru producers for the Horizons 12. These will be twelve artists or bands from Wales who will be given a huge amount of support for either breaking into the music industry or perhaps taking their project to the next level. One only has to look at the success of artists such as Georgia Ruth or Cate le Bon to see how far a little bit of funding and some industry know-how can get you.
I think this is an amazing opportunity to further your career in music, and it would be foolish to let the chance pass you by.
The main benefits of the Horizons 12 scheme, according to the website, are:
- exposure across BBC Cymru Wales services
- direct contact with a BBC producer overseeing the project
- a BBC Maida Vale recording session
- promotional tools including a professional photoshoot and video
- career mentoring through a music industry development lab
- opportunities to perform at a programme of Welsh festivals/events and BBC Cymru Wales events through the year which may be broadcast (subject to BBC’s editorial discretion)
- nominations through BBC Introducing to play at major events across the UK
- opportunities for selected bands/artists to perform at an international festivals
So how do you get involved?
If you are from Wales or live in Wales, are over 16 years old and write and record your own music then you’re eligible.
Bands/artists can apply by uploading your music via the BBC Introducing uploader (the official BBC online tool for new music submissions from around the UK) – and submitting an email to email@example.com stating why you would like to be considered for Horizons 12, with a photo and a biog. It’s as simple as that.
For more information on the scheme and what it consists of, visit the Horizons Gorwelion website.
Please do get involved, as it would be fantastic to see Welsh language music heard outside the traditional outlets (Radio Cymru and Clwb Ifor Bach!)
The closing date is March 21st, so get cracking and POB LWC.